Keep on top of GFO network events and other good food-related events!
If you have a community food event, submit it to Community Action Groups, our partner organisation, whose events listings are incorporated into our own.
If you have a non-community (commercial, academic, industry etc.) food event, submit it using the orange ‘Post Your Event’ button below.
Search for events by category, including community, research, business and industry events, and food event listings from our friends at Cultivate. Events that Good Food Oxford are organising are in GFO turquoise!
Intensive 15-day practical course in the beautiful city of Oxford, including trips to local food Projects and activities
This course is for you if you:
• already garden and want to produce more food
• want to explore oxford food scene
• are considering a career in agriculture or horticulture
• want to learn how to read and design landscapes
You will learn how to:
• design your growing space
• grow your own food
• store it over the seasons
• create a small income from growing
among many other topics such as:
• personal resilience
• building resilient communities
This course is certified by LASER learning awards at levels 1, 2 and 3 (GCSE – A-level equivalent) and by the Permaculture Association UK.
We will visit a variety of gardens, sites and projects to give you an insight into Oxford’s food network.
The course will be weighted towards the specialism of Forest Gardening, a system which demonstrates efficiency in growing, with high production yields.
Topics covered include:
• Ethics and principles of Permaculture
• Design process and methodology
• Soil management and conservation
• Urban challenges and urban Permaculture
• Woodland and integrated livestock systems
• Real wealth, money and sustainable exchange
• Buildings, Energy conservation and renewable energy
• Personal health, nutrition and resilience
• Creating income from food production
• Food preservation
• Herbal medicines
• Practical gardening skills and crop planning
You will receive a take home package including:
• Personal diet and exercise plan
• Mindfulness and stress management strategies
• Personal eco retrofit home plan
• Sown annual vegetable seeds*
• Garden pest management strategy
• Annual Vegetable personal planting plan
• Your own herb plant taken from cuttings*
• Herbal medicine tincture*
• Your own fruit bush cutting*
• Individual site plan of a forest garden
• Small scale food enterprise mini business plan
• Individual design of your own garden/home
• Companion planting chart
*transportation of these items needs to be considered
Oxford has many growing initiatives and local enterprises, as well as cafes, markets and restaurants showcasing local and organic produce. You will have one weekend off (10th and 11th August) when you will be free to visit Oxfords sights and food destinations.
If you want to bring sustainability and food growing into your life, this is the course for you.
The total price for this course is £745.00 per person.
Two places £1290, provided they are booked at the same time.
Please note: we can make arrangements for payment plans.
• 15 days teaching
• All course materials and resources
• Take home package
• Welcome dinner on the first evening
• Tea, coffee and biscuits throughout
• Certification from LASER learning awards and Permaculture Association
• Celebratory afternoon tea on the last day
A maximum of two days can be missed whilst allowing receipt of certificates.
Certificates will be posted to you at a later date, once received from the awarding bodies.
Local accommodation suggestions will be given at time of booking – from camping to 5* hotels
Please note there may be a small travel cost for transportation between projects. TBC